Monday, July 9, 2012

Weeks ?.....not keeping track anymore

Hey guys, so when I last wrote I left off with my Chicago adventure. It was back to work after that and the usual daily activities. However, one thing I have not mentioned yet are all the fireflies they have up here! They like to come out right when it starts getting dark, but it is really hard to take pictures of them unless you have a professional camera. Nonetheless I thought that was a neat tidbit, I can sit out on the front porch and watch them. Also, I have seen a lot of sandhill cranes, deer, and raccoons at night. Linda and I had quite an adventure the other night with a deer, a bunny, and some raccoons in the road all on the SAME night. They were all safe thanks to her mini cooper's swerving abilities. I have to say I was eating ice cream during this so I was just trying to swallow. We have many moments of laughter, it is like having an older sister :) Such as the other night we had a little houseguest, a junebug the size of a nickel! I had never seen a junebug that big in my life and Linda said that is what they normally look like up here, up until then I thought she was kidding. At Summerfest, "the world's largest music festival", we had fun looking for her a boyfriend, we found her a guy with an ice cream cone on his head and then one with a light up hat. We had a good time and I tried sour cream and chive fries for the first, yummmmm. Here are a couple of pictures from Summerfest.

                                          Flying high above the crowd in a cable car.                                   

I thought this was a neat shot.

The epic gates of Summerfest! 

Delicious turtle cheesecake from a place famous for it. Yes I ate it allllll by myself.

The trademark of Summerfest :)

My birthday is here!!!! July 3rd Linda helped me celebrate my 22nd birthday. I didn't do much for it because I had to work, but Linda made it special. This was waiting for me on the table when I woke up on my birthday thanks to Linda:

A balloon, flowers, a note, and my own flower birthday cupcake.

A better picture of my flower cupcake.

When I got home from work she gave me a gift while we enjoyed cheese and crackers with some rootbeer and watched fireworks. It was a great birthday.

I have a couple of pictures to share with you of the animals at work. I finally remembered my camera. More to come eventually.
 


Me and Dakota, a great horned owl that resides at WINC. He is much bigger than he looks.
  

A little orphaned mink that we are currently caring for.

In the past week or so, as you know, we have had intense temperatures across the country and we are no exception up here. We have been in the 90s and 100s, breaking all kinds of records. We don't have air conditioning in the house so it was pretty brutal. We had to go buy a fan for my room but even with that it was just pushing the hot air around. When we went to bed it felt like you were laying on a heating pad the bed was so hot, room temperatures were around 95 degrees. Thankfully the past two nights have been much better. Linda was considering going to a hotel at one point. I just hope it doesn't get that hot again for a while, it was miserable but we toughed it out and made it through because we are tough cookies!
At work, animals were overheating in outside and inside enclosures so we were giving them ice cubes, putting frozen bottles of water in their water dishes, spritzing them with water, and plugged in fans to help cool them down. My little raccoons were the only ones outside that got ice cubes with treats in them, they are the largest mammals that we have outside.

Lastly, I con Linda into playing tennis whenever she is off hehehehe so we played tennis the last two days which I absolutely LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE!! We watched the men's championship match at Wimbledon yesterday at her friend's house so we played with her two doggies and the puppy her friend was puppy-sitting.
 


This is Hannah, she is a sweetie, Linda's favorite. 
  
 

Linda with the puppy named Hitch but we renamed him Tucker.
  


BAXTER!!!! He is my favorite, part border collie so he is soooooo soft. He is the oldest out of the two dogs but he enjoyed playing with the fuzzball on the left here.
  

Baxter again.
 Hope you enjoyed it.

 Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment